The Affordable Care Act (ACA) is the national health reform, which includes new responsibilities and opportunities for employers.
The bill provides incentives to help make offering health insurance coverage to workers easier and, in some cases, more affordable.
The official ObamaCare enrollment period ended on March 31, 2014. Important Notice: Its urgent, to avoid future fines and penalties, to sign up for health insurance under the Affordable Health Care Act.
Minnesota Individuals & Families: Find out the most cost efficient healthcare insurance for you.
What you need to know
To apply for coverage you will use MNsure, Minnesota’s Marketplace. MNsure helps you meet the needs of your employees while controlling the administration and cost of coverage.
When you create an account in the Marketplace you will be able to review plans without any obligation to enroll.
To use MNsure you must:
- Be a business with 2-50 full-time-equivalent (FTE) employees.
*employees who work on average 30 hours/week or more OR 130 hours or more per month.
- Offer at a minimum, Qualified Health Plans to all full-time employees.
- Have a principal business address in Minnesota or offer coverage to each eligible employee through the employee’s primary work site in Minnesota.
A small business employer’s minimum contribution requirement is 50% of the plan premium.
Participation must include 75% of employees. Employees who have signed a waiver declining coverage do not count towards the 75% participation requirement.
Federal Tax Credits
Businesses with fewer than 25 employees, that purchase through MNsure, may be eligible for tax credits to help pay for employees’ coverage.
Tax credit covers up to 50 percent of employer-paid premium costs for taxable organizations and up to 35 percent for tax-exempt organizations.
- Provide health insurance to your employees
- Pay at least 50 percent of employee-only health insurance premiums
- Pay average annual wages of less than $50,000
MNsure gives you and your employees several benefits:
- You can work on your own or have the assistance of an agent or broker. You can find an assistant online.
- Broad selection of health plans from different companies available.
- One monthly bill includes all plans and changes can be easily made through your account online.
- You have a Special Enrollment Period, which is a brief window of opportunity in which participation and contribution requirements are waived.
- Broad choice: You set the contribution amount you’ll pay toward premiums and let employees choose from virtually every plan offered through MNsure.
- Metal Level: You choose one coverage level (e.g., bronze, silver, gold, platinum) and let employees choose the plan and insurance company at that level.
- Employer Choice: You choose one insurance company and plan for all employees.
- Dental Plans: MNsure offers dental plans to employees. Offering these kinds of plans is optional. To find more information about dental plans visit the Minnesota Exchange.
To open an account and start the process visit the Minnesota Health Insurance Exchange.
If you are an employer or employee with questions please call: